Emmanuel Macron on Thursday expressed support for the expansion of India’s Rafale fighter fleet, saying the aircraft strengthens India’s military capabilities and deepens strategic ties between France and India.

Speaking on the sidelines of the AI-India Summit during the final day of his three-day visit, Macron told The Times of India, “Rafale improves the strategic relations between us, and it creates more jobs here.” Addressing criticism from some Western quarters about the jet’s performance during Operation Sindoor last year, he added, “I don’t see how people can criticise the aircraft because it makes your country stronger.”
Macron described a new phase of defence cooperation between the two countries, including plans to jointly manufacture Rafale fighter jets and helicopters. He confirmed that India has expressed its intent to order 114 additional Rafales and co-produce them domestically, calling the potential order a “new step forward” in bilateral defence ties.
On India’s push for higher indigenous content in co-production, Macron said France is committed to maximising Indian participation. “Very clearly, we are extremely committed to having a maximum number of Indian components and manufacturing a maximum number of critical devices in India. We will have increased cooperation in maintenance and diversification,” he added.
Macron also indicated France’s readiness to expand submarine cooperation, using the Rafale partnership as a model. He noted that France has offered additional capabilities and highlighted ongoing plans for the Indian Navy, which currently operates six French-origin Scorpene submarines, with at least three more expected to be procured.
Describing India’s ambition to co-produce Rafales as “legitimate” and aligned with the “direction of history,” Macron emphasised the long-term strategic rationale of the partnership. “Looking ahead to 2040 and 2050, India will need combat aviation,” he said, describing the France-India relationship as a “global spatial strategic partnership” unique to both nations.
His remarks came shortly after the Defence Acquisition Council, chaired by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, granted initial approval for the purchase of 114 additional Rafales. The proposed deal was also discussed earlier this week during the annual India-France defence dialogue between Singh and his French counterpart Catherine Vautrin.
